Photo

Downloadable Files

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 vibrantpixel

vibrantpixel

LemonFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

Suggestion on the downloadable files (E-Goods): would it be possible to put in a link instead of uploading an actual file? We have a client that produces software and it is 365MB in size. We place the file on a CDN (Limelight) for quicker downloads. It would be nice for each download to have a unique URL but still run off the CDN for speed issues.

#2 Danny

Danny

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

I am not sure how it would be secured if that were the case. The URL from Limelight would be open. You could get a little funky, and have LemonStand download the file, but that won't speed things up as your website will always be the bottle neck.

Maybe Aleksey has some ideas, or you have some suggestions.

Thanks

#3 vibrantpixel

vibrantpixel

LemonFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

I think that would be okay if it wasn't secured. We handle security within the software itself, i.e. a license code that we generate for the customers. We are looking more for an option to be able to track all the downloads of the software. If it did get downloaded from the CDN link, that's fine, that's how it works now.

We are also thinking it will be nice for our customers to be able to have central place where they can see all their downloads from us.

On another note, are you guys to have a way to be able to generate license codes?

#4 Danny

Danny

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

How would you stop people from sharing the file download link? It sounds like each customer would be using the same URL to download the file.

I'll let Aleksey chime in on the technical details, as well as the license code question.

#5 Aleksey

Aleksey

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 4168 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi!

Suggestion on the downloadable files (E-Goods): would it be possible to put in a link instead of uploading an actual file?

Yes, we can add the Links field to the Downloadable products type. It will work for cases like yours - when you handle security inside the software itself.

We are also thinking it will be nice for our customers to be able to have central place where they can see all their downloads from us.

It is possible to implement the Order List for logged customers in LemonStand. This feature is implemented in our Demo Store. Customers can view past orders, access the attached files and even pay unpaid orders.

On another note, are you guys to have a way to be able to generate license codes?

We can develop a module for generating the license codes. Can you please describe your requirements in detail?

Thank you!

#6 pmeissner

pmeissner

LemonEvangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

I also have a potential client who is interested in linking to his assets. He sells training videos that can be rather large and can't be uploaded through LS's backend. I suggested Amazon S3 to host his files. I see on your roadmap (#59) that it is planned.

He also has 2 other requirements, and I just wanted to check if it is possible/best practice.

1. He needs temporary/obfuscated URLs. It appears that you can create temporary urls with s3 ( see at the bottom "Query String Request Authentication Alternative" http://docs.amazonwe...entication.html ) Not sure about obfuscating them though. May not be necessary if the links are temporary. But, what stops someone from changing the "expires" part of the URL to a date in the future?

2. Wants a quick way to generate a temporary/obfuscated URL in the LS backend (a module I presume) in case a customers fails to download his file. I imagine that the module would display his S3 "bucket" with links that he could copy and paste.

It all sounds doable. Any suggestions. My client just wants to make sure before he commits.

#7 Eric Muyser

Eric Muyser

Web Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hi Phil,

1. Looking at the documentation, it appears the hashed "Signature" includes the "Expires" variable, so I do not know why it is included separately, but I trust Amazon won't be foiled by simply changing an un-encrypted request parameter. :)

2. Yes, I think that would be a module using a custom partial to list bucket files, converted temporary URLs, using the AWS API (there is a official PHP SDK on GitHub btw).

A product attribute or option (or the future links fields) should suffice for associating a product with a file on S3.

Thank you

#8 pmeissner

pmeissner

LemonEvangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Eric,

Thanks man. The PHP SDK will come in handy.

Phil

#9 pmeissner

pmeissner

LemonEvangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Eric,

One other question: We have both digital downloads and physical DVDs of the same video. I plan on using grouped products to organize the store. When the order is created and then paid for can I assign it different Order Statuses and Transitions based on what is in the order? For example:

If the order contains a physical DVD:
New (physical) -> Paid -> Notify Fulfillment -> Shipped

If the order is only a digital download:
New (digital) -> Paid

I know when you configure the payment method, you choose a status to transition to. So the above wouldn't work. But, I was wondering if you had any thoughts about the matter.

The other solution is to notify Fulfillment of all orders regardless of what's in them.

#10 Eric Muyser

Eric Muyser

Web Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi Phil,

You should be able to hook on to the shop:onOrderStatusChanged event and set it to the fulfillment status if it is has any physical products (iterate Shop_OrderItem's); otherwise do nothing. In this case you wouldn't have Paid set to transition to anything.

Let me know if you need help.

Thanks

#11 vibrantpixel

vibrantpixel

LemonFan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

I know it has been a while, but is it yet possible to use a link instead of uploading the file? Or could the file be uploaded to Rackspace Cloudfiles?