Photo

Physical template files

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Wayde Christie

Wayde Christie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

Loving the software so far but I'm struggling without TextMate :)

Is it possible to save templates and partials as physical files so they can be edited in a text editor?

Cheers!

#2 Aleksey

Aleksey

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 4168 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi!

This feature is planned. It is not that simple to implement it :-) When we finish, you will be able to choose whether you want to store your templates as files or in the database. In the files mode you can even use your favorite version control system.

Thank you

#3 Wayde Christie

Wayde Christie

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:05 PM

Thanks Aleksey.

Version control is the main reason I'm after this functionality. Perhaps template versioning might be an interim step before you implement physical files?

#4 Aleksey

Aleksey

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 4168 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hmm... If we implement the external file support, we will not need the internal version control system, because you will be able to use any other version control software (Subversion, for example) for managing your pages and templates.

Thank you

#5 Panthr

Panthr

LemonRegular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

Any idea when this feature might be available? This would be an extremely useful feature for me.

:cool:

#6 Aleksey

Aleksey

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 4168 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hi!

I'm sorry, I'm afraid we will begin working on this task only in a few months. There are lots of urgent and important tasks in our list right now. This task is important as well, but some other tasks are more vital.

Thank you

#7 allibubba

allibubba

LemonEvangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

@Panthr, agreed, this feature is a must! doing any development where you constantly have to copy and paste changes into your browser slow things down way too much.

once this feature is implemented, i'll be recommending our company take a much closer look at lemonstand app for future commerce projects.

#8 mitchkramez

mitchkramez

LemonEvangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here... For me, being able to edit the templates and partials outside the web interface is pretty important - i can see an argument for leaving "pages" in the DB since alot of that is stuff that users can edit all the time.

#9 Panthr

Panthr

LemonRegular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Hey everybody!

I just developed a plugin for LemonStand that allows developers to use their IDE of choice and version control. I'm looking for a few beta testers. Contact theron ~at~ madebypanthr ~dot~ com if you're interested.

#10 dardub

dardub

Lemonholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

Just my two cents. I think it would be nice if you implemented an internal version control. This way people who want to use the built in editor will have an easy to use version control. Also, people who don't know how to use SVN or whatever have this tool as well.

I noticed recently that google docs has an automatic version control system that's pretty intuitive. Whether something like that would be too simple for our needs, I'm not sure.

I understand that this could be a big task to work on, but you spent all this energy into making a built in editing tool. Why not improve it to make it much more usable?

Edited by dardub, 09 September 2010 - 08:28 AM.

#11 Aleksey

Aleksey

Co-Founder

• +Administrators
  • 4168 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

Just my two cents. I think it would be nice if you implemented an internal version control. This way people who want to use the built in editor will have an easy to use version control. Also, people who don't know how to use SVN or whatever have this tool as well.

I noticed recently that google docs has an automatic version control system that's pretty intuitive. Whether something like that would be too simple for our needs, I'm not sure.

I understand that this could be a big task to work on, but you spent all this energy into making a built in editing tool. Why not improve it to make it much more usable?

Hi! That's a good idea. I added it to our list. Thanks.

#12 dardub

dardub

Lemonholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi! That's a good idea. I added it to our list. Thanks.

Cool! Thanks.